Today the Lindbergh Forest Neighborhood has expanded from its original 25 acres to include almost one square mile. Current boundaries, as set by the Lindbergh Forest Neighborhood Association in 2015, are Chapman Highway to the west, East Moody Ave to the east and Lippencott Street and Davenport Road to the north. It consists of about 200 single family homes, four apartment complexes, Dogwood Elementary School with a park and playgrounds, a professional development center for teachers, around 18 different businesses, a church, and the Cecil Webb Recreation Center that has tennis courts and additional playground equipment. In addition to the park area and playgrounds at the school, there is also a trail connection behind the soccer field that connects our neighborhood to the Knoxville Urban Wilderness Trails.
Lindbergh Forest’s History
How did Lindbergh Forest begin?
Lindbergh Forest was founded in the late 1920’s when real estate developer Victor McClain purchased the area. He hoped to develop a suburb for the growing number of residents who owned automobiles and were beginning to commute to work. Since at the time, there was not an adequate automobile bridge connecting downtown Knoxville to South Knoxville, he took quite a risk developing the area. But as luck would have it, the Henley Street bridge was completed in 1931 and he was able to sell his lots.
How did Lindbergh Forest get its name?
Developer McClain offered $100 (about $1300 in today’s currency) to the person who could come up with the best name for the new community. Ms. Emilee Cate submitted the winning entry, “Lindbergh Forest,” to honor Charles Lindbergh who has just made his famous trans-Atlantic flight in 1927.
National Register of Historic Places
Lindbergh Forest was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places on February 10, 1998.
For more history on Lindbergh Forest’s history click here for the Wikipedia article.